The Editorial Board of the Washington and Lee Law Review invites legal scholars and practitioners to submit articles and essays on areas of the law that are currently of interest to the legal profession. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. Student-written works are not accepted. The Washington and Lee Law Review considers submissions for publication that meet the following editorial criteria:
- Adequate footnoting with citations conforming to The Bluebook: A Uniform
System of Citation (21st ed. 2020);
- Have a coherent, narrative structure and organization;
- Assert an independent, original, developed, and supportable thought or proposal; the submission should have a normative point, rather than one of description or summation.
Our submission cycle opens on August 1 for the Fall selection, and on February 1 for the Spring selection, and on October 1 for the Black Law Scholars Book.
Although we prefer to receive submissions through our Scholastica page, hard copies are also accepted by traditional mail methods.
We receive submissions for the Black Law Scholars Book via email at email@example.com with a subject line, “BLACK LAW SCHOLARS SUBMISSION – [LastName]” and an indication that you are part of the Langston Workshop or the Lutie Workshop. Please include a current CV and cover letter.
Senior Articles Editors
Washington and Lee Law Review
Washington and Lee University School of Law
1 Denny Circle
Sydney Lewis Hall Room 408
Lexington, Virginia 24450
- Microsoft Word Documents ONLY
- Double-spaced & in 11 pt. Century Schoolbook Font (including the footnotes)
- On 8½ ” X 11” paper
- Text and footnotes that conform to The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (21st ed. 2020)
*Please do not make duplicate submissions.
Expedited Request Requirements
We strongly prefer expedite requests via our Scholastica page. You may, however, call our office at (540) 458-8566. If there is no answer, please leave a voice mail message. Due to the large number of requests we receive, we are unable to return phone calls. In order to process your requests in a timely manner, it is important that you include the following information:
- Name of Journal(s) who have accepted your manuscript for publication
- Assigned deadline(s) for your decision
- Your e-mail address